Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Road

“We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the [person] who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” ~C.S. Lewis


Back in the beginning of March 2013 I watched a video posted by one of the Paleo sites I follow. The video was EXTREMELY eye opening. But let me start with a bit of history....


I have, for the last year or so, toyed with the idea of changing my eating habits to Paleo. If I were to do this I knew that I could not approach it in the same manner I had approached "dieting", which is to say that it would be temporary. Aren't "diets" just that? Temporary? The only thing consistent about a diet is that we "consistently" start and stop them and start again.... We "YO-YO" diet, just about everyone does. I believe that I was better than some and worse than others. I was not the type to be sucked into EVERY diet fad there was but I had my share of experience with some of the more popular ones; Jenny Craig, WeightWatchers, and NutriSystem. They worked at first... but the idea of counting calories, watching portion size, and carbohydrate intake, not to mention the amount of exercise expected was overwhelming and exhausting. So, when a friend of mine swore up and down that Paleo was the way to go I thought, "Yeah… makes sense." But I needed more proof before I could make such a drastic life-style change.

That proof finally arrived. Thank you Jonathan Bailor! After watching the video (see below) I purchased his book “The Smarter Science of Slim”, I HAD to learn more. Currently I am only halfway through… it is A LOT of information to take in… however, I am awestruck by the amount of scientific data provided as proof of what I think I instinctively knew all along; dieting does not work, in fact, it can damage our health and make us heavier.

SWEET ENLIGHTENMENT !... The unfortunate part is that I found that for the last 14 years I was on the wrong road; the fortuitous part is that I am doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road. Thankfully it won’t take me 14 years to get back to that right road!

I would like to think that I can convince my family and friends to follow me, for that reason I RE-started this blog to document my new direction; to motivate myself and hopefully inspire others along the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment