Thursday, April 4, 2013

STOP THE "InSANE"ity


Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.




I have been attempting to change my eating habits for the last 4 weeks and I am having a difficult time giving up the sweets and fitting in more veggies. It definitely requires rewiring of the brain, especially with regard to expectations. I have not seen much change in "inches" and although I know I should throw out my scale I am drawn to it every morning only to be disappointed that I am still at the same weight I was at when I started this journey 4 weeks ago. Since I have been a yo-yo dieter in the past it has nearly ruined me psychologically; making me think I need to see results NOW. 

I have found that listening to Jonathan and Carries pod-casts (The Smarter Science of Slim) at least once a day in the car during my commute is encouraging and a good reminder that I am on the right path. 

I often share this information with my family. I feel that it is really important to at least gain their understanding and support and hopefully get them on board as well. My husband is about 80% on board, my daughter (14) is about 70% on board, and my son (17) is about 60% on board. I told them in the beginning that I was not going to purchase any more bread, cereal, pasta, or rice. That if they wanted to eat these items outside the home they could but the items were now "unwelcome guests." I akin it to being an alcoholic, if I were a recovering alcoholic I would expect my family to respect my wishes to keep all alcohol out of the house (not that my kids could bring it in... LOL - but you get my point). 

My desire to change is at a good level right now despite my occasional small indulgences. I feel better and seem to have moved out of the withdrawal stage. I don't feel as if I am missing anything when sitting around with others who are still eating inSANEly. Even when I do indulge it is a small bite and then my craving is satisfied. Things are beginning to taste differently... for example many "sweets" are too sweet now and other things are almost just to rich making it difficult to over-indulge.  
 
Last, I have finished and would like to recommend the book Rich Food, Poor Food by the Caltons (Jonathan interviewed them on one of his pod-casts); a wonderfully eye opening book with regard to the nutritional value of many foods both SANE and inSANE. I figure if I am not going to go 100% SANE I at least want to be more informed with regard to the better of two evils. 

A quote from one of the members on The Smarter Science of Slim community webpage that I would like to share, "The number one thing you can do for your health is stop eating sugars and starches.  The number two thing you can do for your health is to stop eating things that eat sugars and starches."

No comments:

Post a Comment